fincash logo SOLUTIONS

Fincash » Indian Passport » Passport for Minors

Passports for Minors India - A Comprehensive Guide!

Updated on July 15, 2024 , 31843 views

According to the latest guidelines of the Indian Ministry of external affairs, a minor must have a separate passport as they can no longer travel just with the name mentioned over their father’s passport. When it comes to applying for a passport, any of the parents or the guardian can do so.

Passport for Minors

However, one thing to keep in mind that the process for the application of a passport for a minor is different than that of the adults. Not just the process but the documentation requirements are also different for minors. In this post, let’s find out the entire process of applying for a minor’s passport and the required documents.

Applying Passport for Minor

Here are all the steps that you need to follow for applying for a minor passport online:

  • Register the child on the Passport Seva official website
  • Generate login ID and password
  • Log in to the account and fill the application form
  • Next, recheck and submit the application and make the payment

Validity of Kids Passport in India

In India, the minor passport validity period is five years or till the child attains the age of 18 years, whichever is earlier. However, a minor with age between 15 to 18 years can also apply for a passport with a validity of up to 10-years instead of one that is valid only until they turn 18. You must note that the fee associated with various kids' passport application types vary. The fee for the tatkal passport application is higher than the normal passport application.

Purpose of Minor Passport Application Fee Under Normal Condition Tatkal Application Fee
New passport or reissue of passport for minors (5-year validity or till the child reaches 18 years, whichever is earlier) INR 1,000 INR 2,000
Replacement of minor’s passport for removing ECNR or changing personal details (5-year validity or till the child reaches 18 years, whichever is earlier) INR 1,000 INR 2,000

Get More Updates!
Talk to our investment specialist
By submitting this form I authorize to call/SMS/email me about its products and I accept the terms of Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions.

Kids Passport – Mode of Payment

You can pay for the minor passport application by following the given steps:

  • Click on View saved/ Submitted applications.
  • Select the appropriate payment mode and schedule the appointment. The official PSK website uses the SBI payment portal.

Furthermore, if you are applying for a tatkal passport, you can pay in advance for it online, and the remaining amount for it can be paid later after the approval of the request.

Here are the payment modes that you can choose:

Payment Mode Applicable Charges
credit cards (VISA, MasterCard) 1.5% + service tax
debit cards (VISA, MasterCard) 1.5% + service tax
Internet Banking (SBI, Associate Banks) Free
SBI Challan Free. You must deposit the payable cash at the nearest SBI branch after 3 hours of challan generation and within 85 days of it.

Passport Documents for Minors

Here are all the required documents for a passport for the minor:

  • Proof of Date of Birth for the minor.
  • Current address proof of the minor's parents. If the minor has a single parent, it is essential to provide the address proof of the parent applying for it.
  • Photocopy of the passport of both the parents or the one applying for the minor's passport.
  • Annexure G for a minor’s passport: It is required for the minor’s case in which it is not possible to obtain consent from both the parents.
  • Annexure H for a minor’s passport: It is applicable for minors with a single parent or a legal guardian.
  • Annexure I for a minor’s passport: It is the standard affidavit.

Documents Required for Passport Renewal of Minors below 15 Years of Age

Here is a list of all the essential documents for renewing a passport for the minor:

  • Accurately filled online passport application form with the signature or thumb Impression of the minor
  • Minor's current passport and its photocopies
  • Three colored photographs of the minor
  • Address proof of the minor
  • Affidavit requesting to change the appearance in the passport
  • Payment Receipt for the application form

Special Cases for Minor Passport Applications

1. Parents with pending divorce cases

If the divorce case of the minor's parents is still pending before the court, the concerned parent can obtain permission from the court before applying for the child's passport without the other parent's consent. Or, the parent applying for the passport must provide the declaration in form Annexure C and specify the reason for that.

2. Single divorced parent with the child's custody and no visiting rights for the other parent

In such a situation, there is no need to gain the other parent's consent before applying for the minor's passport. In that case, the parent applying for the passport must submit the court order's copy with the application and a signed Annexure C.

3. In the case of single, separated parent

Suppose one of the married parents terminates the relationship with the other without any formal divorce; in that case, the parent with the child's custody should submit the declaration as Annexure C while applying for the minor's passport.

4. In the case of an unwed mother

If the minor has an unwed mother, and the minor's father is known or unknown, the mother can submit the declaration as Annexure C and D while applying for the minor's passport, and the section for the father's name can be left blank.

5, In the case of a child born out of wedlock

In such a case, if both the parents are accepting their responsibilities toward the child but are married to somebody else, the names of the biological parents can be entered in the minor's passport. It can be done after getting the signed Annexure D by both the parents. In Annexure D, the parents can confirm their relationship and declare that the child was born from their relationship without getting the relationship formally and legally sanctioned as a marriage.

6. In case when one parent abandons the child

In the case where the married parent either claims that he/she has no contact with the other parent or if the father terminated the relationship with the child and the mother, the parent having the child's custody has to submit the declaration as Annexure C. In such cases, if the father gets custody, and he claims that the mother has abandoned the child, a similar procedure as that of in the case of a single mother will be followed.

7. In case of including the stepparent's name

Suppose the parent with the custody is getting remarried and wants to get the stepfather’s name mentioned over the passport; in that case, they must submit the following documents to get the minor' passport application approved:

Self-declaration stating that the parent now has a relationship with the stepparent and not the child's other biological parent should be submitted. Then, the name of the stepparent must be filled in the passport application.

At least two educational documents of the minor with the stepparent's name mentioned over it must be attached with the application. The registered marriage certificate of the parent applying for the passport has to be attached with the passport application.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

A. If the father is not in the country, an affidavit attested by the Indian mission and an attested photocopy of the passport must be given. Suppose the mother cannot provide an affidavit; in that case, she must produce Annexure G. If the minor's mother has a passport, its authenticated copy can be submitted with the application form. On the passport of the mother, the spouse's name should be confirmed. If the mother's passport is valid but her spouse's name is not validated, the appropriate modifications must be made by applying for a new passport and making the appropriate adjustments.

2. Is it necessary to include the husband's name in the mother's passport while applying for the minor's passport?

A. In certain cases, including if the parents are separated or if the child has an unwed mother or when the parents are divorced, there is no need for including the father’s name in the passport of the minor’s mother.

3. Is it essential for both the parents of the minor to have passports before applying for the minor's passport?

A. No, having both parent's valid passports is not required, but having one of the valid passports of either parent with the spouse's name inscribed on it will ensure that the child doesn’t have to go through the police verification process.

4. What should the individual parent do if the other parent of the minor refuses to sign the documents for the minor's passport?

A. When applying for a minor's passport, both parents' signatures on Annexure 'H' are required, as this indicates that both parents have granted their agreement for the minor's passport to be issued. If either parent refuses to give consent, the parent applying for a passport must submit Annexure' G.'

5. Can parents obtain a passport for their youngster on an urgent basis if they have a passport with an unfavourable police verification report or if they have a criminal history?

A. In this scenario, minors are eligible for a Tatkaal passport if it has been approved by a Competent Authority or Regional Passport Officer.

All efforts have been made to ensure the information provided here is accurate. However, no guarantees are made regarding correctness of data. Please verify with scheme information document before making any investment.
How helpful was this page ?